I love tiramisu, cupcakes, and anything even remotely sweet or coffee-flavored, so this recipe was a must-try for me. Makes 2 dozen. cupcakes
* 6 eggs, separated (separate when cold, allow to come to room temp)
* 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1 cup sugar, divided
* 3 tablespoons water, room temp
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour (measure after sifted)
* 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
* 2/3 cup water
* 5 teaspoons espresso powder frosting
(makes a bit too much - I'd consider cutting the recipe in half or 3/4)
* 3 cups mascarpone (for those who don't know, marscapone is Italian cream cheese - usually found in the specialty cheese section of your grocery store. It's a little pricey, so I used half marscapone, half cream cheese.)
* 1 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1/4 cup marsala wine
* 3/4 cup heavy cream, chilledtopping
Unsweetened cocoa powder
Dark chocolate shavingsDirections
In large mixing bowl at high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add half of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Rub just a bit of meringue between thumb and forefinger to feel if sugar has dissolved.
In small mixing bowl at high speed, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, water, vanilla and salt (if desired) until blended.
With a sifter or sprinkle flour with a sieve over whites. Add beaten yolk mixture. Gently, but thoroughly, fold yolk mixture and flour into whites.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 min or until done. Espresso Syrup.
In a small, heavy saucepan over high heat, combine the water, the remaining 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar and the espresso or coffee powder. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool.
Use a fork to poke a few holes into cupcakes so that they will absorb liquid. Pour approximately ½-1 teaspoon of syrup onto each cupcake. Frosting.
In a medium bowl using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat together the mascarpone cheese, confectioner’s sugar and marsala until well blended. Add the cream and beat until fluffy, about 1 minute. Frost cupcakes with mascarpone/whipped cream mixture. Dust tops with cocoa powder (I used unsweetened) and then sprinkle with dark chocolate shavings.
See a better picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12266682@N00/370089996/